Monday, October 18, 2010

Additional rest day and iMapMyRide+

Considering everything that I did this weekend with my husband, then working the fair booth most of the day today, I decided to rearrange this weeks training schedule. Today was an additional rest day and I will do today's walk tomorrow. Considering what I have gone through health-wise in the last couple of months, I need to be aware of and listen to what my body is telling me. I am enjoying seeing the physical changes, but I need to be careful not to screw myself up again.

Some people have asked me how I map and track my rides. I currently use iMapMyRide+ on my iPhone. I have a couple of complaints about it.
1. Battery Life - This app drains my battery life on the phone QUICKLY!!! Any more than a 1 hour ride and my battery is dragging the bottom of the barrel. This is a concern. God forbid that I ever actually need to make an emergency call, it sure wouldn't last all that long.

2. Tracking - As a woman, I am not too keen on people being able to track my ride in progress and have set my settings to post on completion of the ride. At the same time, I need my husband to be able to track me in case of emergency. I always tell him where I am riding, which route and when I anticipate being back from my ride. So do I err on the side of caution and keep my ride private until I finish or make it public so he can track me live. This is why I am praying that I get the Trakkers sponsorship. He would be able to track me and I'd feel more secure despite riding solo a lot.

3. Notifications, phone calls and texts. While you can turn off the Notifications from various apps, you can't hibernate the phone calls or text notifications. What does this mean?? If I am out for a ride and someone calls or texts, the MapMyRide will stop tracking my ride. If I don't hear the phone or text alert, I will completely miss out on tracking part of the ride. I like to use it for speed, distance and compare to a previous time on that same route.

I'm not saying that I don't like the app, I really do, I just hate to lose ride data. It is frustrating. I like to see how fast I took a climb, or how slow I took it. My slowest speed ever on a climb, while actually riding and in the saddle is 1.08 miles per hour. Hehehe, surprised I didn't fall over on the hill.

Well, tomorrow is once again a busy day. I like busy days, they keep me moving and no thinking.

**** small fair update***
trying to eat smart at the state fair is HARD!!! Too much blessed fried food!! Two days of working at the fair and I would say that I am doing great managing my intake and what I eat and drink. I have seen lots of people I haven't seen in a while. Great times!!

No comments: