Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Low glycemic foods

WHAT IS THAT???

A couple of years ago when I started this triathlon thing, I was told to eat or drink something low glycemic following a workout of over 40 minutes in order to recover. I said okay and kept right on going.

What is a low glycemic food, simple research says this.

Low glycemic foods are low in sugar and usually have fiber as well. (Bonus) Fresh fruits and vegetables are a good example of low glycemic foods. Some examples of these vegetables are: green beans, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, apples, cherries, peaches and oranges. I limited this list, although a better list is available on most search engines or livestrong.com

Some other examples are nuts, peanuts, carrots, lentils, sweet potatoes, seeds, beans, low fat milk and yogurt are also good. Meat, poultry and fish are other examples of low glycemic. Lean meats are better than those marbled with lots of fat and gristle.

I am not a dietitian or nutritionist, but this is what I am learning from my research, speaking with my nutritionist and working on my eating habits.



I have linked a page on livestrong that has a more detailed list. The above list is for me and the foods I eat. If I can find the right snacks to eat and keep moving in the right direction, I will be better for it.

Just remember, you never know until you tri

No comments: