Tuesday, March 6, 2012

On to training again

So I will soon be signing up for the Diva Half Marathon in North Myrtle Beach. 

I am jumping into training again at about week 7 of a half marathon training plan, which isn't too bad, I am dropping my mileage back and bringing it back up.  I am looking forward to it.  I never thought that with my knees I'd be able to complete one half marathon, let alone two in three months.  I was surprised that I thought the first one ended too quickly.  I also don't want to lose the fitness I've worked so hard to get since October last year. 

I am actually setting goals for this half in addition to finishing.  My finish time in the Princess Half was 3:37.  I think that I can logically cut about 15 minutes off of that.  Part of that cut will come with no picture stops.  Additionally, with more training and maybe a little speed work for this race, I might just pick up a little time. 

There are also no overpasses in the last three miles to kick my butt. 

The Diva Half is 5 days after my birthday so we plan to make a birthday trip out of it. 

One other change I am going to make is that I will run the Diva without my knee brace.  I had knee surgery on my left knee in July last year.  My doctor and pt both recommended that I run the Princess with the knee brace on.  After the Princess, I had a lot of knee pain and a little swelling.  I am going to attempt the Diva, without the knee brace.  I think the knee brace hurt the knee more than it helped during the Princess.  I've done my standard postop rehab to get the swelling and popping back to normal and no more pain, so back to training. 

See you all in Myrtle Beach. 

No comments: