Monday, June 13, 2011

A little inspiration in return

I have had several people tell me recently that I have inspired them to start running or cycling.

Really??

I never really saw myself as inspirational and to hear that from people I haven't met personally, but I know them through online contacts. Some of them I have known or spoken to for over 10 years.

Most of what I do running or cycling is to stay healthy, lose a little weight and stay strong. Avoid some of those nasty little buggers that start becoming an issue as I approach age 40.

Unfortunately, this weekend, my knees decided that I needed a break. I rode 30 miles on saturday and my left knee, which is the one that took the longest to recover after surgery last year, flared up pretty bad during the ride. Yesterday it was a little worse. Today isn't so bad, but I am also planning on heading to a cycling shop to get my bike refit.

Evidently from what I have heard, when you start doing more running, your body adjusts and now my body and muscles don't fit my bike as it was. It needs to be adjusted. So that is the plan for today. I need to call the bike shop and get it set up. I may hop on the bike briefly this morning and see if anything has changed, but I also plan to get this done either way.

I can't and I won't destroy my knees again. Thanks to my friends for the inspiration in return. It means a lot.

No comments: